|Land Rover V8 with block failure behind the liner. Coolant scours the piston clean|
|The gear in this oil pump broke into pieces|
|The only cure for excess piston skirt clearance is new pistons|
- Scrap the truck;
- Install a used motor;
- Rebuild your motor, or buy a rebuilt motor.
If the Discovery is “just a car” to you, the scrapyard option may look attractive; people in that position tend to move on to other brands of car. Major repairs are what separate the serious enthusiasts from the weekend dilettantes. The weasels get a can of gas and a match, and get ten grand from the insurance company. A few good men take their own ten grand, and do a proper repair. Then they go out and burn the gas, chasing action through backwoods and beaches.
- · Tank clean and bead blast the block
- · Remove the old liners and check for cracks
- · Repair the cracks
- · Check the block for straightness, corrosion, and other damage
- · Machine the block to accept flanged liners, and install the liners
- · Bore liners to match the new pistons
- · Rebuild crank and rods
- · Line bore block if needed; deck cylinder head surfaces;
- · Balance rotating mass
- · Assemble short block
Then you get into the rest of the job . . .
|A restored D90 engine bay|
|1995 Range Rover Classic atop Killington Mountain|